Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Dark Knight


As I promised, here is my thoughts on "The Dark Knight" - the latest Batman movie. I am not going to reveal anything critical if you haven't seen the movie yet - and I urge you to see it.

A few days ago I had lunch with a couple of friends. We all saw the movie seperately and wanted to discuss it. The notion that Batman did not have the leading part in the movie, like all comic films are built, was agreed on everyone. One of my friends even said that he could not sympathise with Batman since he wasn't as important in the movie as his evil counterpart - the joker. We then understood that he didn't yet see the first "new" movie Batman - "Batman Begins". This was probably why he could not understand Batman and could not identify with him.

I also read a lot of articles from critics, stating that this movie is better (or much better) than the earlier one. I tend to partially agree - I do see why they would think it is a more meaningful film, but I think that it doesn't hold without its origin. "The Dark Knight" should not stand on its own. I think it is very important to first see "Batman Begins" in order to understand the new concept of Batman and enjoy the new blockbuster.

In the past, I didn't understand how come people could mention Superman, Spiderman and Batman in the same sentence. Superman and Spiderman are "real" super heroes whereas Batman is just a rich fellow with no special abilities what so ever. The new series of Batman movies had changed all that. Batman may not be a super hero like others, but he is definately a hero as well as a great fiction figure.

No comments: